LAST UPDATED: 22nd Sept 2022
- Our website at SolarBuddy.org (the “Website”);
- Our social media pages, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”);
- Offline interactions you have with us.
Collectively, we refer to the Websites, Social Media Pages, emails, and offline interactions as the “Services.”
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We collect Personal Information through the Services, including:
- Date of Birth
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- IP address (we may derive your approximate location from your IP address)
- Payment card information, to be used and stored exclusively by our payment card processors
- Demographic information, such as income and spending habits
Collection of Personal Information
We and our service providers collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services.
- We collect Personal Information through the Services, for example, when you use the Website, enter a promotion, complete a survey, sign up for a newsletter, attend one of our events, place an order over the phone, contact customer service, or make a purchase or donation.
- From Other Sources.
- We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as publicly available databases.
Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers use Personal Information for a variety of purposes. In the chart below, we describe these different purposes, related activities, the categories of Personal Information involved, and, where applicable, the associated legal bases.
|PURPOSE||ASSOCIATED ACTIVITIES||PERSONAL INFORMATION||LEGAL BASES|
Providing the functionality of the Services and fulfilling your requests
Providing the Services’ functionality to you; responding to your inquiries and fulfilling your requests when you contact us via one of our online forms or otherwise; completing your transactions, verifying your information, and providing you with related benefits, special promotions, or customer or donor service; sending administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies and donation confirmations
Name; contact information; information specific to an inquiry or request; information and content you may choose to provide; and payment information specific to a donation
Managing our contractual relationship with you and/or complying with our legal obligations
Providing you with our newsletter and/or other materials and requests
Consent, where required by applicable law, and our legitimate interest
Name; contact information; communication and content preferences
Sending you information about our services and other news about our organization, including impact reports; contacting you to conduct market research or otherwise solicit your feedback
Analyzing Personal Information to provide personalized services
Personalizing content, such as delivering content specific to a region or language; identifying usage trends to understand which parts of our Services are of most interest to users
Name; contact information; IP address (for the purpose of obtaining approximate location); and information you may choose to provide
Legitimate interest, such as enhancing and improving our Service offerings
Accomplishing our organizational purposes
Data analysis, for example, to improve the efficiency of our Services; professional advisory services (including from accountants, auditors, and lawyers), to verify that our internal processes function as intended and to address legal, regulatory, or contractual requirements; fraud prevention and fraud security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft; developing new products and services; enhancing, improving, repairing, maintaining, or modifying our current products and services, as well as undertaking quality and safety assurance measures; identifying usage trends, for example, understanding which parts of our Services are of most interest to users; determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, so that we can adapt our campaigns to the needs and interests of our users; and operating and expanding our activities.
Name; contact information; IP address (for the purpose of obtaining approximate country location); and payment information
Managing our contractual relationship with you, complying with our legal obligations, and our legitimate interest, such as operating and expanding our activities
We may aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information so that it will no longer be considered Personal Information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose, as it no longer identifies you or any other individual.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose Personal Information:
- SolarBuddy Inc, 150 Post Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94108 USA.
- To our third-party service providers, to facilitate services they provide to us.
- These can include providers of such services as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, fraud prevention, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, and other services.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate, in particular when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
- This may include laws outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with public and government authorities.
- To respond to a request or to provide information we believe is necessary or appropriate.
- These can include authorities outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with law enforcement.
- For example, when we respond to law enforcement requests and orders or provide information we believe is important, including when we reasonably believe that you are engaged in illegal activities.
- For other legal reasons.
- To enforce our terms and conditions, including when we reasonably believe that you are in breach of our terms and conditions; and
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or similar transaction.
- We have a legitimate interest in disclosing or transferring your Personal Information to a third party in connection with any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our organization, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual. Through the Services, we collect such Other Information as:
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags, and other technologies
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Through cookies.
- Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Services, pages visited, language preferences, and other traffic data. We and our service providers use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience. We also gather statistical information about use of the Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used, and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
- We do not currently respond to browser do-not-track signals.
- Through interest-based advertising
- Pixel tags and other similar technologies.
- Pixel tags. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our promotional campaigns, and compile statistics about use of the Services and response rates.
Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no information transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
YOUR CHOICES AND ACCESS
You may opt out from receiving marketing-related emails from us. If you no longer wish to receive marketing related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out by following the instructions contained in any such message or by submitting a request here: Mailing List Unsubscribe
We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt out of receiving marketing related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
How you can request to access, change, correct, or delete your Personal Information
If you would like to request to access, correct, update, suppress, restrict, or delete Personal Information, object to or opt out of the processing of Personal Information, or if you would like to request to receive a copy of your Personal Information for purposes of transmitting it to another organization (to the extent these rights are provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law. In addition, if you are located in the European Economic Area, you may request that we delete your Personal Information by submitting a request here: Right to Be Forgotten.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed or whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion.
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Services to you (for example, for as long as you keep using the Services);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation, or regulatory investigations).
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as any social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider, or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
USE OF THE SERVICES BY MINORS
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of sixteen (16), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 16.
JURISDICTION AND CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and will be held in France, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, and/or the United States. By using the Services you understand that your information will be transferred to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA (EEA): Some non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available at https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/adequacy-protection-personal-data-non-eu-countries_en. For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
Unless we request it, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., Social Security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background, or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
THIRD-PARTY PAYMENT SERVICE
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING THE EEA AND AUSTRALIA
- Lodge a complaint with an EU/EEA data protection authority for your country or region where you have your habitual residence or place of work or where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law occurs. A list of data protection authorities is available at http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080.
- Lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at oaic.gov.au.
1. Collecting information
We may collect personal information about you by your use of the Website, or where you otherwise provide us with information, including when you enter into SolarBuddy’s promotions or complete SolarBuddy’s surveys or generally engage with our organisation. The only personal information we collect is what you volunteer to tell us about yourself and certain information collected from third parties (which may include your employer, schools, key event organisers, donation platforms) from time to time. The personal information that we collect from these sources may include your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, email address, information about services that we provide to you and in some instances may also include demographics, income, spending habits and purchasing information. This is not an exhaustive list.
We use this information for research or to improve SolarBuddy’s goods, services and performance. We may also use this information for reasonable business purposes for example to contact you, via email regular mail, or telephone, to provide you with information we believe may be of interest, including marketing and promotional material.
Where you submit an enquiry or complaint, we will use that information to respond to your particular enquiry or complaint and may also use such information for internal corporate purposes such as monitoring and improving customer services of aspects of the Website.
We may also collect information from you by your use of the Website which is not personally identifiable. For example, we may track information about the date and time you access the site, the type of browser you use and the web site from which you connected to the site. Our website collects this information by depositing “cookies” in your computer. This does not collect any information which personally identifies you and does not have any effect on how your computer system works. We may analyse the data for certain trends and statistics, such as which parts of the Website users are visiting and how long they spend there.
This information is compiled and analysed in an aggregate form. We may share this aggregated information with our Content Providers to assist them to understand our services. If you do not wish to receive cookies, you can set your browser or device to opt-out. We provide further information under section 8 below (including unsubscribe forms) on how you can opt out of our mailing lists.
2. Use and disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to other third parties (service providers) that we may engage for the purpose of assisting us in operating our organisation. The third parties include information technology providers, marketing and advertising agencies and contractors, government and regulatory authorities, and our professional advisors (accountants, auditors, lawyers). We ask these third parties to hold, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. We will never sell your personal information to any third party and will only disclose your personal information in accordance with this policy. Otherwise, we will not disclose personal information unless: (a) required to do so by law, regulation or an industry code of practice; (b) for safety reasons; or (c) where we reasonably believe that you are in breach of our terms and conditions or are engaged in illegal activities.
We will not collect, use or disclose sensitive information (such as information about racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs) except with your specific consent or in the circumstances permitted in the Australian Privacy Principles.
3. Information security and information held overseas
We will take all reasonable steps to keep any information we hold about you secure, accurate and up to date. We will store your information securely and take appropriate steps to protect it from misuse and loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.However, no guarantee can be given that information sent over the Internet is always 100% secure. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose.
We may hold personal information about you in or may disclose this information to third party service providers located overseas. Your personal information will most likely be held in France, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom or the United States of America.
4. Accessing and correcting your information
You can request access to your personal information that we hold about you and we will do our best to provide you with access to it. Subject to exceptions permitted by law, we will provide access to you within a reasonable time. If you believe that any personal information that we hold about you is not correct, you may ask us to correct these details.
5. How to contact us and make a complaint
If you wish to raise a concern or query regarding your privacy, you can do so using the below contact details. We will review your concerns and respond as quickly as possible.
Phone: +61 (0)7 3257 7380
If you are not satisfied with our response, you can lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner using the details outlined under section 6 below.
6. More on privacy
You can obtain further information about privacy in Australia and the protection of your personal information via the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website (www.oaic.gov.au). This website also provides information on how to lodge queries or complaints in relation to your privacy.
8. Right to be forgotten
You are entitled to request us to erase any personal data we hold about you under EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will do our best to respond promptly and in any event within one month of the following:
• Our receipt of your written request; or
• Our receipt of any further information we may ask you to provide to enable us to comply with your request, whichever happens to be later.
Please complete the following form to request removal of your personal information from SolarBuddy.org’s databases:
You can also request to be removed from some or all of our mailing lists by submitting a request here: